Part 58 (2/2)

Two large firms have their headquarters here and the amount of capital invested in the business a 1886 1,200,000 pounds of fish were shi+pped to Duluth for reshi+pment to other places, from the various fisheries of these co the value of Lake Superior as a reservoir for food fish, have projected the largest fish hatchery on the lakes, to be located at Lester's Park It is to be under government and state control and will supply the lakes of Superior and Michigan with about 500,000,000 eggs yearly

Duluth was organized and laid out as a village under the town site law of 1844; Richard Ralf, surveyor; Geo E Nettleton, J B Culver, O

W Rice, Wm Nettleton, and Robt E Jefferson, proprietors The date of this organization is not known We have a states, to the effect, that in the winter of 1852-53, A

Ramsey, H M Rice, Maj Watrous and hianized as a company and projected a town site at the west end of the lake, on the present site of Duluth Maj

Watrous, the Indian agent, was instructed to take necessary measures to secure the land Watrous failed to secure the property and the scheme failed Mr Le Duc projected and introduced a charter in the territorial legislature, which was passed, for a railroad to Duluth

In 1870 the city of Duluth was first incorporated, and five years later a portion of the sae of Duluth, and the two municipal corporations were still in existence Feb 25, 1887, when the act i city of Duluth became a law The second day of March another laent into effect incorporating both the city and village of Duluth as the present city

FOND DU LAC,

Located at the head of navigation on St Louis river, and at the foot of the rapids, is a point of considerable historical interest, it having long been in use as a trading post It has been a place of outfit and departure for trading expeditions for two hundred years

The old stone trading house of the Astor Fur Cos of more recent date It is now better known as a station on the Northern Pacific railroad It was surveyed in 1856 by Richard Ralf and platted into village lots The plats were signed by James A Markland, attorney for the proprietors

Fond du Lac is now a village of sonitude

ONEOTA

Was settled some time in the '40s, by Ede of so a post office, church and other evidences of prosperity It was platted as a village in 1856; H

W Wheeler, surveyor; Marcus W McCracken, Bion W Bacon, Edmund F

Ely, proprietors The first recorded deed in St Louis county is a quitclaim deed from B H Baer to E F Ely, of the town site of Ely; consideration, 1,500 The deed bears date of April 20, 1856 Oneota is now included in the plat of Duluth

CLIFTON

This village was platted in 1858, by John S Watrous, on the shores of the lake north of Duluth It is noithin the Duluth city lie on the lake shore above Duluth, was platted in 1856 The proprietors were Aaron B Robbins, James D Ray, C Marshall and J J

Post It is noithin the Duluth city limits

ENDION,

Located on the north shore, was surveyed Dec 15, 1856, by Chas

Martin; M 7P Niel and others, proprietors It is noithin the Duluth city limits

MIDDLETON,

Located on Minnesota Point, was surveyed Aug 1, 1856; proprietors, Robert Reed, T A Markland

MONTEZUMA,

Located on the north shore, was surveyed in May, 1856, by Vose Palmer; proprietor, Frederic Ottoman