Part 56 (2/2)

He was married to Mary A Roof in 1857, and has a fahters

MOSES LA FOND, a Canadian Frenchman, came to Morrison county in 1855, and located at Little Falls, where he co Company He found more lucrative eislator, having been elected a representative in the legislature of 1874

O A CHURCHILL--Orlando A Churchill was born in Windsor county, Vermont, in 1825 He came to Illinois in 1843, and to Little Falls in 1855, where he engaged in islature of 1858, but did not serve, as no session of the legislature was held that year He served several years as auditor of Morrison county He reo, and later to California, but is now again a resident of Little Falls

JOHN M KIDDER overnment land on the east side of the Mississippi, on the site of Little Falls He died in 1855, before the land was entered, and the claiis, a son-in-law of Mr Kidder, and by him sold to the Little Falls Company

Elliott J, a son of John M Kidder, is still a resident of Little Falls

WARREN KOBE located at Royalton in 1880 and built an elevator, store and first class hotel Mr Kobe is a public spirited citizen and has expended ian birth, was one of the first settlers

IRA W BOUCH came from Buchanan county, Iowa, in 1880, and opened the first store in Royalton

ROBERT RUSSELL, living on a fare, came from Scotland to America in 1850 and settled here in 1853 Mr Russell died in July, 1862; Mrs Russell died in 1876 Three sons and five daughters survive them

PETER A GREEN, a farmer, pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres in 1854, a part of which is surveyed into town lots He built the second building on the town site Mr Green was born in 1817, in Green county, New York, where he married He died January, 1884 Hisand two sons survive him

RODOLPHUS D KINNEY was the first settler on the town site of Royalton, in 1854, erected the first house and was the first postave the na that of his birthplace, in the state of Veres in youth and attended Fairical Seminary in Cincinnati; was an associate of the early Presbyterian missions and was the first school teacher in Morrison county, in 1851 and 1852, at Belle Prairie He was married in St Paul in 1852 His eldest son, Jonathan, was born in 1853 One daughter lives in Alabaest son is a physician at Royalton

JOHN D LOGAN came to Minnesota fro the war in Coular Volunteers In 1879 he came to Royalton and devoted hi up of the village

He has a wife and three children

CROW WING COUNTY

The county of Crow Wing was organized in 1857 Prior to this period it was included in Benton and other counties It now includes eleven whole and eight fractional townshi+ps in townshi+ps 43 to 47, ranges 28 to 31, inclusive The Mississippi river bounds it on the west and northwest, Aitkin county on the east and Morrison on the south Its soil ranges froht sandy to a dark loam, with clay subsoil, and the timber includes the pines and the hardwoods common to the latitude There are also fine s It is watered by the tributaries of the Mississippi and its surface is dotted with lakes It is well adapted to stock raising and agriculture

C H Beaulieu appears to have been the first whitepost as early as 1837, near theriver His successors in trade were Allen Morrison and Donald McDonald Philip Beaupre was here in 1844 When Fort Ripley was built S B Olmstead, with his family, built a house and improved a farm opposite the fort on the east bank of the Mississippi Mr Ol here he served as a islatures, and in 1854 was elected president of the council After living here several years, he reo Mr Oled to secure most of the hay, beef and wood contracts for the fort Henry M

Rice had a trading post at one tiht miles above the fort John H Fairbanks ran a ferry at the village

Other settlers were Wallace Bean, Henry Whipple, F M Campbell, W B

Wakefield, Ed Lyndes, Albert Fuller, Thomas Cathcart, Daniel S

Mooers, S C Abbe, and members of the Beaulieu family James A

Parish was the first justice of the peace John McGillis, who lived at Crow Wing in 1853, was the second and served about fifteen years In 1856 the first fare, by Wallace Bean The second farinally fro opened a blacks in 1856, lived there two years and was then eovernment blacksmith by the Indian depart county was organized in 1857, with the following board of officers: County auditor, C H Beaulieu; register of deeds, F M Campbell; county treasurer, Robert Fairbanks; county commissioners, J H Fairbanks, Allen Morrison, S B Ole of probate court, Dennis Shaff

The county organization took effect Jan 1, 1858 The county was attached for judicial purposes, first to Ramsey, and then to Morrison county F W Peake ca post, and was afterward one of the mercantile firy about the same ti out of the hen he accepted the chaplaincy of a Wisconsin regiment After the war he removed to California, and carried on a mission a few years, but later returned to Minnesota and is now stationed at Detroit Rev Francis Pierz, a Catholic priest, officiated at Crow Wing and Belle Prairie until 1870, when he returned to his home in Austria

The first district court was held at Crow Wing in 1871, J M McKelvey officiating as judge, Chas Beaulieu as clerk of court, and Wanization was abandoned, to be reresuislative enactanization were: Commissioners, Wallace Bean, Henry Whipple and F W Peake; treasurer, E B Snyder; auditor, J W Campbell; clerk of court, Chas H Beaulieu; sheriff, Whter of David McArthur, living near Crow Wing village, was murdered by Indians The murderers were arrested and placed in jail at Brainerd, froed