Part 51 (2/2)

St Cloud was organized as a city in 1868, under the following officers: Mayor, Judge E O Hamlin; aldermen, L A Evans, president; Peter Smith, Thomas Smith, T C Alden, Leander Gorton, T R Bennett, O Tenny, C Bridgman, Andrew Fritz, L R Roberts, Lewis Clarke, H

C Burbank; clerk, N F Barnes The city governed The United States land office, established first at Sauk Rapids in 1853, was removed to St Cloud in May, 1858 The first receiver was W H Wood His successors have been S B Hayes, C A Gilman, W B Mitchell, H G Burbank, Ole Peterson, and C F

McDonald, the present incue W

Sweet His successors have been W A Caruthers, T C McClure, H C

Waite, H L Gordon, J A Brower, and D H Freeman

The city has paid for various improvements as follows: City water works on the Holly systeth, 12,000; to the Manitoba railroad in real estate and bonds, 100,000; in cash, 27,000; gas works, 10,000 The fire departht plant has been established Considerable e, a beautiful lake about fifty-five acres in extent, lying in the heart of the city, and surrounding it with parks

Street cars have been introduced and altogether the city has s that pertain to beauty and comfort

Not less rapid and substantial are its advances in commerce and ular communication by water with all river points, and since its facilities for transportation have made it the peer of any inland city of its size in the State The railroads of St Cloud are the Manitoba with its various branches and the Northern Pacific, the latter passing through East St Cloud A the improvements of which its citizens are justly proud we may mention the St Cloud daave 100,000 for this iranite of this section It is intended as a perrowth and prosperity of the city The dam has 10 feet head of water and furnishes 1,500 horse power A flour mill with a capacity of 300 barrels per day is run by the water power The Phoenix Iron Works, established at a cost of 175,000, give eman's steam saw mill has a capacity of about 40,000 feet of luricultural and timbered district In the vicinity are valuable quarries of jasper, and of gray and red granite Two granite polishi+ng works, operated by steam, are located near the city These quarries stretch away to the northeast, through the counties of Benton, Morrison, Mille Lacs and Kanabec They give employment to 1,000 men The Manitoba Railroad Company has purchased recently about 400 acres of land, on which to build extensive shops and stock yards, calculated to give employment, when completed, to 1,000 men The principal hotels are the Grand Central and the West House

The first bank in St Cloud was established by Waite & McClure in 1859 This bank, a private institution, was the beginning of the banking system in St Cloud It is now operated by N P Clarke The First National Bank was organized as a private bank in 1867, with a capital stock of 25,000; James A Bell, president; Joseph G Sanized as a state bank in 1879, with a capital stock of 50,000 In 1886 it was reorganized as a national bank The first board of officers have served continuously to date The business of the bank amounts to over 300,000 The Geranized in 1883; Chas A Hull, president; Edgar Hull, cashi+er; capital stock 50,000 The business (in 1886) amounts to 250,000 The present board of officers are: F E Searle, president; John Cooper, vice president; F M Morgan, cashi+er

St Cloud has s The court house cost 40,000, and four school buildings an aggregate of 75,000 The bishop's cathedral cost 40,000, and the Catholic church 30,000 The Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, Congregationalists, and Lutherans have organizations and good church buildings The nors located here cost 100,000 St Cloud University is a flourishi+ng institution St John's University, although located in the adjoining town of St Joseph, has been identified more or less with the interests of St Cloud, and deserves inally located two miles south of St Cloud, but was subsequently re village of Collegeville

The university owes its existence to the zeal, energy and self devotion of the Benedictine Fathers, a colony of whom came to America in 1846 This colony settled first in Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, but in 1856, at the invitation of Bishop Cretin, ca, they commenced their educational work on the banks of the Mississippi near St Cloud The school was coranted authority to confer degrees, and in 1883 fored the name fros are ample and commodious, and located pleasantly on the banks of a beautiful lake

The faculty consists of Rt Rev Alexius Edelbrock and twenty-two professors In 1885 St Benedict's Hospital was erected at a cost of about 15,000 It is under the supervision of the Benedictine Nuns

The state reformatory was located at East St Cloud in 1887

LA SAUK,

For St Cloud on the north, had a saw and flour mill erected in 1855 These st the early settlers were J H Linee Rieder in 1855

PETER SCHAELER, a farmer, a native of Germany, came to America in 1850, and to St Joseph in 1856 John, his only son, retains the old hoed in the insurance business in St

Cloud

JOHN L WILSON was born in Coluton county, Maine, in 1820 He ca at St Anthony, but in the following year removed to Sauk Rapids and in 1854 to St Cloud

The first deed on record in Stearns county was from John L Wilson to L C Kenna, and bears date of 1855 In 1855 he was

CHARLES T STEARNS, from whom the county took its name, has been for many years a resident of Louisiana, and is a wealthy planter

HENRY G FILLMORE, a nephew of President Fillmore, was born in the state of New York in the '20s, and came to Watab in 1848 He has lived in St Cloud many years

NATHANIEL GETChell was born in Washi+ngton county, Maine, in 1828 He came to St Anthony in 1852, and to Stearns county in 1855

JAMES KEOUGH came from Ireland to America in 1850, and directly to Watab He settled in St Cloud in 1854, was e family

LOREN W COLLINS was born in Lowell, Massachusetts, Aug 22, 1839 He received a cos, Minnesota, some time prior to the Rebellion, studied laith Sust, 1862, entered the service of his country in Company F, Seventh Minnesota Volunteers, of which company he was commissioned second lieutenant, and a year later first lieutenant He was discharged with his regiment at the close of the war, and returned to his law practice In 1866 he removed to St Cloud and practiced law He served as county attorney a number of years; was a member of the Minnesota house of representatives in 1881-83; was appointed judge of the Seventh Judicial district April 8, 1883, and elected to that office in 1884 Nov 12, 1887, he was appointed to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Judge Berry, an appoint won an enviable reputation as a jurist and as a man

HENRY C WAITE was born in Albany county, New York, in 1830; graduated at Union College, Schenectady, New York; was admitted to practice law in 1852, and the same year came to Iowa A year later he removed to Wisconsin, and located at Madison, where he practiced lao years

In May, 1855, he came to St Cloud, where he has since continuously resided The first ten years of his residence in St Cloud he devoted to the practice of his profession, after which he devoted his ti