Part 47 (2/2)

Croix valley, and is indebted to them chiefly for its welfare These are considered separately in other parts of this history The local interests are centred chiefly in mills and manufactories, of themselves an important element in the prosperity of the city The principal proprietors of the saw mills since the first settlement of Stillwater have been McKusick & Co, Sawyer & Heaton, McHale & Co, Schulenberg & Co, Hersey, Staples & Co, Hersey, Bean & Brown, Isaac Staples, Sey Co Company

FLOURING MILLS

In 1872 J H Townshend and W F Cahill erected a flouring ht fro an overshot wheel forty-five feet in diameter In 1880 D M Sabin became interested in the firm The capacity of the mill was increased froine and other iarian roller systeed to Townshend & Co

The St Croix flouring mill was built in 1877, on Upper Main street, near the lake, by Isaac Staples Its dimensions were 40 50 feet Its capacity o hundred and fifty barrels per day It was res of the Car Coanized under state laws in 1878, and round plan, and five stories high These arian roller system The cost was 100,000 Their capacity is four hundred barrels per day The ine of one hundred and seventy-five horse power The principal owners are R F Hersey, Smith Ellison, D M Sabin and L Hospes

MANUFACTORIES

Swain's machine shop, D M Swain, proprietor, was established in 1873, on Third street between Myrtle and Chestnut Geo Swain established a foundry on Third street in 1874 His ines, mill machinery and farm utensils The St

Croix Iron Works, Door, Sash and Blind Factory, established originally as a o & Omaha round house, has been owned by various parties A foundry was added in 1874, and in 1878 Isaac Staples added a sash and blind factory

CARRIAGE MANUFACTORIES

Richard Daw established the Novelty Carriage Works in 1875, one door east of the Sawyer House

D J Sullivan established the Stillwater Carriage Works in 1878, one door east of the Sawyer House, but afterward removed to a better location on Second street

We Manufactory in 1866, on Main street

Albert Saeker in 1872 established a wagon shop on Second street between Myrtle and Chestnut

Frederick Steinacker commenced the manufacture of brick in 1859, in a yard located in Ramsey & Carter's addition, but afterward removed to the lower end of Sunfish lake

It is clairowth of the first in the county, if not in the State, a still having been located at the corner of Third and Chestnut streets in 1851 The present site is on Lower Main street Joseph Wolff's brewery is located on the corner of Main and Nelson streets, and was established in 1868

Heitman & Becker established a bakery in 1879 Messrs Muller Brothers established a boat factory in 1873 A vinegar factory was commenced by Ciopac & Tuor in 1875, and is continued by the latter Of the several livery stables in Stillwater the first was established by C A

Broanized under the laws of the State, March 23, 1887, has doneas it does to persons of li suitable homes and business houses Private enterprise has done much in the erection of substantial blocks for business purposes

Henry Sawyer, in 1856, built the first stone block in the city It is located on Main street Other fine blocks were built by McCoe, Bernheimer, Elam Greely, Wm Holcombe, Schlenk, L E

Torinus, Hersey & Staples, McKusick, and others Many of these blocks are fireproof and built of stone, and are fine specimens of architecture, convenient and commodious

CHURCH SOCIETIES AND BUILDINGS

Stillwater has sixteen church organizations and fifteen buildings, the latter having a total valuation of 315,000

The Ascension church (Episcopal) originated in the labors of Rev E

A Greenleaf, in 1846 The corner stone of the first building was laid in 1851 Rev Joseph A Russell was the first rector In 1873 the corner stone of the present edifice was laid by Bishop Welles of Wisconsin This building cost 10,000, and was burned in 1886 and rebuilt in 1887

The First Presbyterian church grew out of the missionary labors of Rev W T Boutwell, in 1847 and 1848 The church was organized in 1849; Rev J S Whitney, pastor The first building was erected in 1851, and the second, the armory, in 1857 The present edifice, located on the corner of Myrtle and Third, was built in 1884, at a cost of 22,000, and the total value of building and ground is 30,000