Part 45 (1/2)
The first school district was organized in 1867 Ruth Miller taught the first school The first e was that of Joseph Lambert and Mary Courtone The first child born was Hoyt E, son of O L Kinyon, Dec 27, 1863 The first death was that of Herbert, son of O L
Kinyon, May 30, 1869
ONEKA,
Located in the northeast quarter of section 8, was platted May, 1847, by Franklin Jones; Chas B Lowell, surveyor
SHADY SIDE VILLAGE,
Located on Bald Eagle lake, was platted in 1880, by Chas P Hill; Brinckerhoff & Phillips, surveyors
DANIEL HOPKINS, SR, son of Daniel Hopkins, of whoraphical mention is made in the history of Newport, was born in New Haed in the mercantile business on Third street until 1852, when he removed to a farm between St Anthony and St Paul, and dealt extensively in blooded stock until about 1855-56, when he purchased the farms of Austin and Tainter, on Rice creek near the railroad His far station at the farm known as Hopkins station
STILLWATER
Stillwater co the site of the city of Stillwater The surface is rolling and the soil good It is atered with rivulets and small lakes The first settlers in the town outside the city li of the father (Cornelius) and two sons, C Storrs and D
P, Charles Macy, W T Boutwell, Sebastian Marty, Wm Rutherford, J
J McKenzie, Albion Masterman, and Dr James Carey The first white child born in the toas Ehter of C S Lyhter of C S Lye was that of Abraham Click and Jane Saht by Cynthia Pond, in 1852 The first road through the toas froe via Carnelian lake and Marine to St Croix Falls Messrs Rutherford & Booth in 1857 built a flour mill on Brown's creek, which empties into the St Croix near the head of the lake The mill was located above McKusick's lake, and has been for soh sections 18, 19, 20 and 21 to the river, but was turned in 1843 from its natural course, and made to connect McKusick's lake with the St
Croix by a new channel cut through sections 28 and 29, thus giving to Stillwater its initial advantages as a ton county poor fars and other conveniences, was located in this town in 1858
OAK PARK
Was platted May 27, 1857 It is situated between the city of Stillwater and South Stillwater, with frontage on the lake The proprietors were John Parker, Wm Dorr, Gold T Curtis, Mary Curtis, Olive A B Anderson, and Wm M McCluer The surveyor was A Van Voorhes
The townshi+p of Stillwater was organized April 3, 1860, with the following board of officers: Moderator, Cornelius Lyes of election, H Packard, W T Boutwell, D P Lyman; supervisors, C
Storrs Lyman, H Packard, Henry A Jackman; clerk, Sylvanus Trask
DAVID P LYMAN was born in St Lawrence county, New York, in 1822 In 1844 he came with his parents to Marine In 1846 he removed to his present residence in the town of Stillwater He was dale, Illinois, in 1850 They have five children
Mr Lyht, reliable citizen, and a consistent member of the Presbyterian church
HENRY A JACKMAN, a native of Robbinstown, Maine, was born July 30, 1819 He was married to Sarah Blanchard in 1848 Mr Jackman, with his family, his father and his wife's parents, came West in 1849 and located in Stillwater In 1851 he re and lu, and has filled several important positions He served as school trustee for 30 years, as county commissioner 8 years, as warden of state prison 4 years, as state prison inspector 20 years, and was a representative in the territorial legislature of 1856, and the state legislature of 1867 Mr Jackman's father, a native of Brunswick, Maine, died at his son's residence in Stillwater, April, 1867, aged seventy-four years He was a rity His wife, the mother of Henry A, died in Maine in 1844 Three sons and four daughters survive them
The children of Henry A Jackman are Mary E (Mrs Russell Pease), James E and Alice (Mrs Wm A Boxwell)
FREDERIC J CURTIS, a native of Ireland, was born in 1818 Before co He came to A at his trade He also spent two years in St Louis and New Orleans He came to Stillwater in 1848 and settled on his farm in section 9, where he has since lived He held the office of sheriff two years He was one of the first police of the city of Stillwater and has been town treasurer and school director He was et Fenton in 1849 Their children are Daniel, Thoie, and Ellen B