Part 33 (1/2)
MORA,
A village, platted in 1882, is located in section 11, townshi+p 39, range 24, on the Hinckley branch of the Manitoba railroad Myron R
Kent, owner of the town plat,a hotel and post office, of which he becaer opened the first store in 1882 The village now contains a court house, school house, two hotels, five stores, three saloons, and many fine residences Lake Mora, a lovely sheet of deep, blue water, about one hundred and fifty acres in extent, is located within the village lie is beautifully situated on a plateau on the east side of Kanabec river
STEPHEN L DANFORTH lived in the county of Kanabec during the '70s
His occupation was that of a farmer or lumberman He died in Stillwater in 1884
N H DANFORTH, brother of S L, also settled here in the '70s, and still resides here, an active business man
ALVAH J AND IRA CONGER are cousins They came from Maine to Minnesota in 1850 Alvah J kept the Toe, where he kept a hotel and store, and thence removed to Pine City, where he kept a store until 1882, when he ton They have no children Ira Conger has been actively engaged in business at Cae and other places, and moved to Mora in 1883, where he is proprietor of a hotel and store His oldest son, John, has charge of his business interests
BRONSON
This village is yet unplatted It is located in section 21, range 24, on the line of the Manitoba railroad A post office was established here in 1884, of which Frank P Burleigh is poste far 2,000 acres, of which six hundred and fifty acres are under cultivation The ie barns, one store, one blackss for e interests of Mr Staples in Kanabec county
BRUNSWICK
Includes townshi+p 38, ranges 24 and 25 The toas organized in 1883 The first supervisors were Eric Hokansen, John Rines and Haquin Ekton, in 1856
The first death was that of ---- Cowan, killed accidentally, in 1857
There are two church organizations, Swedish Baptist and Swedish Lutheran Stephen E Tallman built a saw e of Brunswick is located in the southwest quarter of section 1, townshi+p 38; range 24 It was platted in 1856, by Isaac and George Staples It was originally designated as the county seat
GROUND HOUSE CITY
Was platted by Isaac Staples for Hersey, Staples & Co, Jan 17, 1857, in section 7, townshi+p 38, range 24
JAMES PENNINGTON was born in Queensborough, New Brunswick, in 1799 He lived in Houlton, Maine, fifteen years, and came to Kanabec county in 1854 with his family, ere the first perton farmed and luton died in 1878 Six sons and three daughters are living
The sons are residents of Minnesota The daughters are married as follows: Elisabeth to ---- Grant, of Detroit, Minnesota; Charlotte to A J Conger, of Mora, Minnesota; Augusta to B C Newport, of Pipestone, Minnesota
GEORGE L STAPLES settled in section 1, townshi+p 38, range 24, in 1855 He lived there eight years and filled various responsible offices He was an upright, conscientious man, much respected by all who knew him In 1863 he re a , five sons and a daughter Mr Staples raised the first crop in the county, opened the first store, and gave the nae, was the first white child born in the county He was clerk of court in Morrison county in 1887
DANIEL GORDON was born in Readfield, Maine, in 1809 In 1856 he settled in the southeast quarter of section 1, townshi+p 38, range 24
He was married toTalle in the town Mrs Gordon died in June, 1885
GRass LAKE
Includes townshi+p 38, range 23 It was organized in 1883 It is thickly settled, ood farms, roads and schools The first settler was Solomon Anderson; the second, Benjamin Norton; both were farmers There are in this town three houses of worshi+p, two belonging to the Swedish mission, and one to the Baptists There are five school houses
The renine townshi+ps, is without organization or townshi+p government It is divided into three assessment districts over which the county exercises jurisdiction,taxes
ISANTI COUNTY
Isanti county lies directly west of Chisago and south of Kanabec It is bounded on the west and south by Sherburne, Mille Lacs and Anoka counties, and contains about fourteen towns The soil is well adapted for agriculture The county has no large lakes, but is atered by tributaries of Rum and Sunrise rivers It is well tiar maple The settlers are chiefly Scandinavians, who, by their industry, have es to blossoanized Feb 13, 1857 It took its nao occupied the country about Mille Lacs The first board of county coe G Clough The first county officers were: Williaister of deeds; Stephen Hewson, judge of probate; H M Davis, clerk; George L Henderson, sheriff The first court was held by Judge C E Vanderburgh in October, 1871 Prior to this time Isanti had been attached to Auoka county for judicial purposes