Part 27 (2/2)

The Sawyer County Bank was organized March 9, 1884, with a capital stock of 200,000, divided equally between three stockholders, R L

McCoreneral er and cashi+er The bank deals in real estate, abstracts, insurance and generalJune 6, 1886, a is a substantial brick The Hayward Luon river The water power has a fall of eighteen feet and a flowage of about three e for slucing logs The saw mill has a capacity of 35,000,000 feet per annu mill attached The company is composed of T F Robinson, Weyerhauser & dinkeman and R L

McCormack Mr Weyerhauser is president of the company Mr

Weyerhauser is also president of the Rock Island Lumber Company and of Weyerhauser, dinkeman & Co, of Rock Island, and is a stockholder in Renwick, Crosset & Co, Cloquet, Minnesota, Shell Lake, Barronett, Masons, White River, and Chippewa Falls Luh Boo companies Mr Weyerhauser is the most extensive holder and owner of unoperated pine lands in the West, or probably on the continent The stockholders of the Hayward Lumber Company are all men of wealth accumulated by their own industry Mr R L McCorer, is admirably adapted for the position he holds Mr McCormack was a citizen of Minnesota for fourteen years, and a islature in 1881 He was born in Pennsylvania in 1847

Dobie & Stratton, contractors for pine stue on the Lac Oreilles Indian reservation, reside in Hayward They cut 28,000,000 feet of logs in the winter of 1885-86

MALCOMB DOBIE, of this firm, is a native of Canada He came to the St

Croix valley in 1864, and was married to Harriet Stratton, at St

Croix Falls, in 1874

MILTON V STRATTON, brother of Mrs Dobie, was raised at St Croix Falls, and engaged in business with Mr Dobie In 1886, his health failing, he removed to California

BARRON COUNTY

Barron county was for rapidly cleared and settled It is atered by the Red Cedar and its tributaries, and hasthe lakes The county was first established as Dallas county, in 1859, and attached to Polk for judicial purposes In 1868 it was organized for county and judicial purposes, and the county seat was changed froe 12 By act of legislature in 1869, the naed to Barron, and the county seat was called by the sae of the Eleventh circuit It coes 10 to 14, in all 25 townshi+ps Barron county has three railroads, on the lines of which thriving settle up The railroads are three, the North Wisconsin, a branch line of the Omaha, and the Minneapolis, Soo Ste Marie & Atlantic The North Wisconsin railroad passes through the northwestern part of the county The Chippewa Falls & Superior City branch of the Omaha enters the southeast corner, and traverses the county in a direction west of north The Minneapolis, Soo Ste Marie & Atlantic passes through the middle of the county in a direction froanized in 1879 The village of Turtle Lake is situated in sections 30 and 31, townshi+p 34, range 14 It contains a large saw mill with a capacity of 40,000,000 feet per annum; a union depot, used by the North Wisconsin, and Minneapolis, Soo Ste Marie & Atlantic railroads, and stores, shops and dwellings, all new The Minneapolis, Soo Ste Marie & Atlantic railroad was built through the county in 1885, and corowing lu lands to the south It has a population of over 1,000 The ”Soo Line” railway has a station here

PERLEY VILLAGE

Is located also in Turtle Lake town, in section 8, townshi+p 34, range 14, and on the line of the North Wisconsin railroad It has a large saw e is beautifully located on Horse Shoe lake

cumBERLAND VILLAGE

Is situated in the town of cue 15, on Beaver Dae on the line of the Northwestern railroad Its appearance gives evidence of enterprise and thrift on the part of its citizens The Beaver Dam Lumber Company have here a saw mill with a capacity of 24,000,000 feet per annum Cook & Co have a saw mill (burned and rebuilt) with a capacity of 6,000,000 feet The village has a bank and one newspaper, the cumberland _Advocate_, first issued in 1880 as the _Herald_

cuanized under a city charter in 1885 The population is now about 1,700 The ate about 500,000 annually The aggregate output of luate 200,000 per annuraded school of five departe There is here one banking house

SPRAGUE

Is a village in cumberland, on the Northwestern railroad It has a saw mill with a capacity of about 15,000,000 feet per annum

COMSTOCK,

In culea capacity of about 5,000,000 feet

BARRONETT,

In cue 13, in the ion Its saw mill, directly on the county line, has a capacity of 25,000,000 feet M Bowron has a far tarass

De Graw and Granite Lake Mills are also located on the Northwestern railroad