Part 25 (2/2)
SALEM
Salee 16 It is drained by Rush river It was organized as a town Jan 13, 1862 First board of supervisors, C
C Carpenter, Eben White and J H Shults The first school was taught in 1857, by Thoe was that of Harvey Seeley and Kate McKinstry The first child born was Sarah Fuller The first death was that of John McCleary, Sept 2, 1863 The first post office was established at Rush River, May 1860, Joseph Seeley, postmaster The first settlers were Jeremiah Fuller, from Ohio, and W
Wells, 1846; Harvey Seeley, 1848; Thomas Boyle and James White, 1854; John F Davis from Ireland, 1856 (town clerk twenty years); John H
Brasington, from Pennsylvania (town treasurer fifteen years); Eben White, Ja, H M Hicks, from Pennsylvania, 1858; John Foley and brothers, from Ireland, 1856; James H Shults, Joseph Seeley, H C Brown, John McClure, from Ireland; C C and Ira W Carpenter, from Connecticut, 1858
Mrs Fuller, the wife of the pioneer, was here over sixwhich time she did not see a white woman
SPRING LAKE
Is the extre townshi+p 27, range 15 The post offices are Oak Ridge and Spring Valley The toas organized Nov 10, 1868 The first townwas held at the house of A M Wilcox The first supervisors were: W D Akers, chairht in 1866, by Agnes Harrianizations, and the Methodists have a building worth five hundred dollars The first e was that of H M Wilcox to Mrs Kate Rice, of Lake City, by W D Akers, justice of the peace The first child born was a daughter of Ole P Gardner The first death was that of Leota Wilcox, in 1864 The first postmaster was B H Preston, 1871 The first settlers in the order of their coe Wilcox, John Francisco and W D Akers
TRENTON
Trenton contains about twenty-eight sections, those on the Mississippi having very irregular boundaries Twenty-four whole sections lie in townshi+p 25, range 18, and the ree 18
Trenton, in section 33, townshi+p 25, is its post village Trenton was organized in 1857; Ja, the pioneer settler, came in 1848
TRIMBELLE
Tries are Trianized March 2, 1855 Its supervisors were F Otis, chair its earliest settlers were the Cornelisons, F Otis and M B Willia mill, five school houses and one church (Methodist)
MARTIN B WILLIAMS was born in New York in 1812 He received a coe of sixteen years was thrown upon his own resources He learned the trade of blacksmith He was married in New York, and has four sons, Clark M, Frank T, G Glen and A Judd
Mr Williams is one of the pioneer settlers of Trimbelle, and has held many public town and county positions He served as treasurer of Pierce county four years He has been a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal church for over thirty years
UNION
Union consists of townshi+p 25, range 15 It is drained by Plum creek
It has two post offices, Pluanized Aug 15, 1863 A its first settlers were Eleazer Holt, Hiram N Wood, and Capt Horst, who made their homes here in the early '50s
FOOTNOTES:
[B] In 1849 the town of Elisabeth was organized by St Croix county, and included what is now Pierce county The first board of supervisors were Williaer; clerk, Hilton Doe; treasurer, Geo W McMurphy In 1851, by legislative enacted to Prescott
[C] A member of the well known Faribault family, after whom the town of Faribault has been named
[D] NOTE--When I touched at Prescott in 1845, it was generally known as the ”Mouth of St Croix,” though by so” The residents were Hilton Doe, a far house keeper; W S Lockwood, merchant; Joseph Mosier, an Indian trader or storekeeper The principal trade ith Indians
CHAPTER VIII