Part 13 (2/2)

The nainally Leroy, in honor of Mr Hubble above retted that this nah the name of one of the most celebrated Indians in American history, is shared by a post town in the eastern part of the State It was therefore necessary to call this post town Osceola Mills, a distinction that correspondents and poste re 10, 1887 The first officers were: President, H B dyke; trustees, W C Reilly, R S Sutton, G W De Long, H E

Cornbacker, Paul Filzen, S C Benjamin; clerk, S Rowcliff; treasurer, C W Staples; supervisor, G D McDill; justice of the peace, George Wilson; police justice, T Post The village has a splendid situation upon the bluffs overlooking the river, and communicates with points on the river by boat, and with overland points by the Minneapolis, Soo & Atlantic railway, co 21, 1887 There is also a branch road froe was visited by destructive fires at various ti of the Freeland Hotel in 1857, the Western Hotel in 1878, and the first flouring mill in 1880

BIOGRAPHICAL

DANIEL MEARS--Mr Mears was born in Lynn, Massachusetts, in 1819 His first wife, E three sons, Charles, David, and Daniel In 1852 he was hter, Lulu, now Mrs Wheeler, of Stillwater Mr Mears caoods one year at Taylor's Place (since Taylor's Falls) In 1849 he removed his store to St Croix Falls, where he continueduntil 1852, when he went to Willow River as agent in building the first saw mill in what is now Hudson In 1860 he made himself a permanent home on a farhth district in 1858-59, and as state tient in 1874-75 As an officer Mr Mears acquitted himself well In politics he is a Democrat, and while in the senate took an active part in debates The oldest son, Charles, is editor and proprietor of the _Polk County Press_ The three sons are married

NELSON MCCARTY--Mr McCarty was born July 4, 1819, in Pike county, Pennsylvania; in 1834 was married to Mary McKune, and caed in piloting and lu In 1847 he made him a farm on Osceola prairie He died in 1856 His brother Philip came to Osceola in 1850, and settled on Osceola prairie

WILLIAM O MAHONY, a native of Ireland, born about 1810, came to America while he was yet a minor, and to St Croix Falls in 1843 He had learned the trade of a baker, but in 1844 became one of the proprietors of the saw mill at Osceola, and sold his interest in 1860

He was a inal and eccentric mind He went to California in 1862, and died there in 1866

RICHARD ARNOLD is of Illinois birth He cae in 1848 In 1852 he removed to Taylor's Falls and built the Cascade House In 1855 he was the first faro county In 1859 he left the valley for Pike's Peak, Colorado

WM KENT SR, was born in Scotland sometime in 1790 He was married in Scotland, and, with his wife and two eldest children, came to America in 1823 He seems to have lived awhile in New Brunswick, probably till 1829 or 30, when he reton, Maine, whence he removed to the West and made his home at Osceola in 1852, where he and his wife died at an advanced age, honored by all who knew therew to ton, had hohters are Anna, wife of Curtis Guild; Agnes (deceased), wife of I W

Freeland; Jane, wife of Jerry Mudget; Mary (deceased), wife of Chapin Kimball; and Eva, wife of Henry C Goodwin

ROBERT KENT, oldest son of Wm Kent, Sr, was born in Scotland in 1819; came to Galena, Illinois, in 1840, and to Osceola in 1848, where he has filled many responsible public positions His first wife, to who four children In 1859 Mr Kent was married to Susan Babb, of Osceola

ANDREW KENT was born in Scotland in 1821 He was married in New Brunswick in 1838, but his wife died soon after He came to Osceola in 1852 and was married to Esther Hill, of Osceola, in 1855 Mr Kent followed lu for ton, where he still resides, an industrious, thrifty farmer

WILLIAM KENT, JR, was born in New Brunswick in 1824; came to Galena in 1843 and to St Croix Falls in 1844 He was one of the original owners and builders of the first mill at Osceola From time to time he purchased the interests of other partners until he became sole owner of mill and town site In 1853 he sold the ed in stea for many years and was a popular coie Reany Of late years he has been engaged in mercantile pursuits He was married to Nellie Kidder in 1855 They have no children Mr Kent is an influential member of the masonic order, and has filled many positions of public trust

JAMES KENT was born in Frederickton, New Brunswick, in 1826; came to Wisconsin in 1850; and was married to Mary Jane Wilson at Osceola in 1858 In 1874 he re a wife and five children

THOMAS KENT was born in Richmond, New Brunswick, in 1828 He came to Osceola in 1849 and was married in 1856 to Achsah Hale He was a practical lumberman and a very activea jas in Clam river He left a wife and one child

JOHN KENT was born in Eddington, Maine, in 1831 He came to Wisconsin with his parents in 1852 He was married to Jennie Kidder in 1866 He was a house carpenter Lived in Duluth some years but returned and settled in Osceola

SAMUEL CLOSE in 1845 made a land claim for a mill at the falls of Close creek Shortly after he abandoned the clai his nah

EBENEZER AYRES came from Maine to the St Croix valley in 1850, and settled on a far the re his last years he became very feeble and partially insane, and his friends placed hi 20, 1876 His wife, fareatly esteemed for her excellence of character, died two years later They reared a fahters The sons Charles, Seth and Andrew are farmers on typo for Osceola prairie Warren, a fourth son, died in Iowa The daughters were married--Elizabeth to Ambrose Sevey, Ruth to Walter Carrier, Mary (deceased) to Frank S Eddy, Sarah to E R St

Clair, and to a second husband, H H Newberry, all of Taylor's Falls; Abigail to Wuished phrenologist, O S Fowler, of New York; Alh, of Osceola prairie, and, after his decease, to Wallace, of Osceola; and Emma to Charles P Fenlason, of Pipestone, Minnesota

CARMI P GARLICK was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, in 1818; was married in 1842 to Elizabeth Thoo county, Minnesota, in 1854, where he built a sawas he had expected, he betook hi and to the practice of medicine while in Amador In 1858 he removed to Osceola, where he practiced eon during the war of the Rebellion He died at Milwaukee, Jan

12, 1864, while in the United States service He was educated in Colue He left a wife, one son (Louis), and one daughter, wife of Henry Jones, of Osceola

JOHN S GodFREY was born in Sackville, Halifax county, Nova Scotia, Dec 18, 1809; was ht, in Stonnich, Nova Scotia, in 1832; came to Easton, Wisconsin, in 1849, to Taylor's Falls in 1851, and to their beautiful homestead in Osceola in 1852, where he still lives, respected and honored by all his neighbors as an honest, worthy and industrious , but his chief success has been as a farmer Mr and Mrs Godfrey are mehters

Of his sons, George died in 1872 Of his daughters, Mary Ann, wife of Joel F Nason, died in 1885 John, the youngest son, was hters are married--Elizabeth to John Buckley, Charlotte to S B Dresser, Eunice to George Clark, and Sarah to Joseph A Brown The two oldest sons are married--James to M Fenlason, Arthur to Mary J Daniel

WILLIAM A TALBOYS was born in Bristol, England; was married to Mary Rowcliff, in London, in 1845; came to America in 1845, and to Osceola in 1851, where for soht the first school in Osceola and served four years as county treasurer

He has held ed in lu In 1874 he built an elevator for handling wheat Mr Talboys and his wife are me The oldest, W E, is editor of the Grantsburg _Sentinel_, Burnett county Frederic C is in St Paul Adelaide E was married to Benj Knapp, captain of the steamboat Cleon Her husband died in 1887

CHARLES H STAPLES--Mr Staples was born in Portsmouth, New Hampshi+re, in 1824 In 1848 he came to Bunker Hill, Illinois, and in the saed seven years in the ed in luoods and medicines He has filled several county offices Of their four children, Charles W was married to May Foster, of Osceola, in 1878, Eva is married to H B dyke, and Frank to Ella Fiske

J W PEAKE was born Dec 2, 1822, in Schoharie county, New York At the age of twenty-one he settled near La Salle, Illinois, and kept a hotel He came to Osceola in 1854, and settled on a farm On July 15, 1862, he enlisted in the Tenth Wisconsin Battery, and served till the close of the war He served several years as town supervisor and assessor He died at his home, March 13, 1886

GEORGE WILSON was born in Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, in 1836

His privileges for education were good He taught school in Pennsylvania; ca school; was nine years in flouring ister of deeds, and has filled minor offices He was married to Emma R Fiske in 1854, at Osceola They have two sons and two daughters, one the wife of Capt George Knapp