Part 3 (2/2)
Thirty dollars was allowed to J R Brown and W B Dibble, each, for carrying election returns to Prairie du Chien The first abstract of votes polled in St Croix county was for delegate to Congress and for county officers For delegate to Congress the following vote was cast: Henry Dodge, seventeen; Jonathan E Arnold, ten Samuel Burkelo, Hazen Mooers and W B Dibble were elected county coister of deeds; Phineas Lawrence, sheriff; J R Brown, county clerk and clerk of court, and Philander Prescott, assessor
The first recorded deed of property in Stillwater was fro for a consideration of 1,550 a tract bounded east by Lake St Croix and south and north by lands owned by Churchill and Nelson
Three election precincts had been established in this portion of Crawford county prior to the organization of St Croix county: Ca-kank, e the county adjacent to St Croix Falls; Dakotah, the county at the head of Lake St Croix, and Chan-wak-an the Gray Cloud settlement, on the Mississippi
On July 5, 1841, the co precincts as follows:
_Gray Cloud_--Judges of election, Hazen Mooers, David Howe, Joseph Haskell
_Mouth of St Croix Lake_--Judges of election, P Prescott, Oscar P
Burris, John Burke
_Marine Mills_--Judges of election, Asa Parker, Saton
_Falls of St Croix_--Judges of election, Joseph W Furber, Joshua L
Taylor, Jesse Taylor
_Pokegaes of election, Jeremiah Russell, E Myers, E L Ely
Feb 2, 1844, St Paul and Stillwater were islature, and Stillwater was made the county seat
The constituted authorities were not successful incounty revenues The first estimate of expenditures for the county was for 1842, and a one ter the county seat to Stillwater much dissatisfaction existed as to the ed, and there was a general revolt, a refusal to pay taxes In consequence, the county building at Dakotah remained unfinished and was finally abandoned by the county authorities J R Brown lost on his contract on account of this failure and abandonment The first successful collection of taxes in St Croix county, considered legal, was in 1845 Capt W this period as clerk of the coister of deeds In 1846 he deputized W H C
Folsoister of deeds, and transmitted the records from St Croix Falls to Stillwater
[A]
EARLY HISTORY OF STILLWATER
In the spring of 1843 Jacob Fisher made a claim on unsurveyed lands at the head of Lake St Croix, i the trees to ood site for a saw mill, and made an offer to Elias McKean and Calvin F Leach of the entire claim on condition that they would build afor a mill site; Mr Fisher referred thereed that the four should take the claim and erect the mill Greely improved and held the claim, while McKusick went to St Louis and procured mill irons and supplies McKean and Leach operated in the pinery By April 1, 1844, the mill was finished and in operation This was the first fra erected in Stillwater It stood on the lake shore, east of Main street, lot 8, block 18 The second fra house, west of Main street, on block 18 John Allen's family was the first to locate in Stillwater Mr Allen ca of 1844, and subsequently removed to California The second fa soon after Mr Northrup built a public house on the west side of Main street, just north of Nelson's alley
Soon afterward came ards and family frohter of ards
Socrates Nelson came about this time and built the first store in Stillwater His fae was that of Jesse Taylor and Abbie Edwards, J W Furber, Esq, officiating justice The second e was that of William Cove to Nancy Edwards in May, 1845 The first white child born was Willie Taylor, son of Jesse Taylor, in 1845 A daughter, Maud Maria, was born to Mr and Mrs Paul Carli in Dakotah (Schulenburg's addition to Stillwater), in 1843
Stillwater derives its name from its appropriate location on the banks of the still waters of Lake St Croix A post office was established in 1845, and Elam Greely was appointed postmaster The first business partnershi+p was that of the saw ive here in full the articles of agreement as the first written and the oldest on record in Washi+ngton county This docuin or founding of Stillwater, but as an important event, as it thus early laid the foundation of the future prosperity of the city, and indicated the direction in which its energies should be chiefly turned:
[_Copy of Agreereement, made and entered into this twenty-sixth day of October, Anno Do named individuals, viz: John McKusick, Elias McKean, Ela a saw mill near the head of Lake St Croix, Wisconsin Territory, and for carrying on the lu business in all its various branches
_Article first_--It is understood by this agreement, that the heretofore named individuals form themselves into a company to continue and exist by the name of the Stillwater Lureed to by the heretofore named individuals, that the whole amount of property owned and business done by the aforesaid company shall be included in fifteen shares, and to be divided and owned by each individual of the aforesaid company as follows, viz: John McKusick, five-fifteenths; Elias McKean, three-fifteenths; Elam Greely, four-fifteenths; and Calvin F Leach, three-fifteenths
_Article third_--It is furthermore understood, that each proprietor of the aforesaid co from all the business done or transacted by the aforesaid co a time as said company shall exist and continue to do business under the present for from any or all of the business done by the aforesaid company, shall be shared or sustained by each proprietor of the aforesaid company, in the same ratio as above named, in proportion to each above named proprietor's share of stock owned in the aforesaid coreed to, that the whole amount of money or property that each or either of the proprietors of the aforesaid company shall invest, advance, or pay for the benefit or use of the aforesaid company, the same amount shall be credited to the separate credit of the proprietor or either of the proprietors of the aforesaid co such investments, on the books of accounts kept by the aforesaid company