Part 18 (1/2)
The season of 1897 with three steamers all making double trips brought the introduction of the six trips a day, a service which fully provided for the new connection then opened, and for the increases which gradually came in several subsequent years.
The _Niagara Falls Park Electric Railway_, then already in operation on the Canadian side between the Falls and Queenston running on the upper level follows the river banks of the Gorge, overlooking it from these heights and adding views of the far vistas of the surrounding country and up and down the river.
The new Electric Railway, on the American side, put into full working operation in this year, and known as the _Gorge Line_, was constructed far down in the Gorge, just a little above the waters edge, following the curvings of the river, beneath the cliffs, and giving opportunity for coming into immediate proximity with the tossing rapids on this lower part of its torrents.
The construction of this railway from the Falls to Lewiston was the work of Messrs. Brinker & Smith, of Buffalo, and in boldness of conception, and overcoming of intense difficulties in construction, is a record of great determination and ability.
[Ill.u.s.tration: How the FALLS have cut through the GORGE.]
A round trip on both these lines, going up on one and returning by the other, and crossing the river on the cars at the Upper Bridge, reveals all the glorious scenery of the Niagara River between the Falls where they now are and the Niagara Escarpment at Queenston Heights, where the geologists tell us the Falls once fell over the cliffs to the lower level. It is estimated that from this place of beginning of the chasm which they have cut out of the strata of the intervening rocks, from 16,000 to 25,000 years, according to different views, have been spent in reaching to their present position and they are still continuing to cut their way back further up the river.
The process by which this has been done can be clearly seen by noticing on the sides of the cliffs that the several layers of limestone strata lie flat above one another, with large softer layers and deposits between each.
The waters of the river at the upper level pour over the edge of the topmost rock ledge, and the reverberations and spray then wash out the intervening sand and softer layers, so that the rock strata becoming unsupported break off, and fall down into the gulf. In this way the chasm has year after year been bitten back.
When leaving the dock on the Niagara River Line steamers at Lewiston, or coming up the river from Niagara-on-the-Lake, it is enthralling to look up at these great cliffs, and in imagination casting the mind back into the centuries, see the mighty river as it once poured its torrents direct in one concentrated ma.s.s from the edge of these heights into the open river lying at their feet.
What a stupendous spectacle it must have been; yet, though wondrous, not more beautiful than the distant glimpses now gleaming through the shadowed portal between the cliff-sides clad with verdure and cedar, dominated by the shaft of the monument to the heroes of the _Queenston Heights_.
The acquiring of landing terminals on the Niagara River was further expanded in 1899, by the purchase from the Duncan Milloy Estate of the docks at _Niagara-on-the-Lake_. In addition to the wharves this property includes the s.h.i.+pyard of the old-time Niagara Dock Company, whose launching slips for the many steamers which they constructed are still in evidence. On the doors of the large warehouse alongside the wharf, there were then still to be traced the faint remains of the names of some of the vessels, which of old time used to ply to the port. The ground floor of the building appears to have been divided into sections, in which s.p.a.ce for the freightage or equipment of each of the several vessels was allotted. Over the door of each section were the names for the occupants, as originally painted.
_Schooners--Canada_, _Commr. Barrie_, _Cobourg_, _United Kingdom_, _St.
George_, _William IV._, _Great Britain_.
These names were now carefully restored. The steamers which ran regularly on the Niagara route have already been mentioned, these others used the port as convenient for laying up for the winter, with the advantage of the proximity of the dockyard for repairs. The _Cobourg_ built at Gananoque in 1833, ran between Toronto and Kingston, with Lieutenant Elmsley, R.N. in command. The _St. George_ was built in Kingston in 1834, and was mainly occupied between lake ports on the North Sh.o.r.e Route.
These doorways and the names now easily read above them bring us into immediate contact with the early enterprises on the river and form connecting links between the navigation interests under the opening conditions and those of the present time. The route has the charm of a constant unravelling of history.
Another wraith there is in connection with this Niagara dock which cannot be omitted. For many years a pa.s.senger on the incoming steamers would see a man in conductor's uniform standing on the dock watching the arrival. This was Mr. Miles, conductor of the Mail Express train, which ran on the Erie and Niagara branch between Buffalo and Niagara-on-the-Lake twice each day; on which with never failing regularity he made his double round trip each day for almost twenty years. Through three changes of owners.h.i.+p and several pa.s.senger agents ”Paddy” Miles, as he was generally called, held his position and so dominated conditions that the train came to be known as ”Paddy Miles' train,” and the Branch as ”Miles' Railway.” He was superintendent, train dispatcher, and general pa.s.senger agent, in his own opinion, all moulded into one, and acted accordingly. As he stood on the dock with hands thrust deep into his breeches pockets and a scowl upon his forehead, he seemed to consider it was rank treason for anyone to pa.s.s up the river and not get off and use his train. Yet this was only on the surface, for Paddy was at heart a good soul, who took a very personal interest in the earnings of his Branch.
The _Buffalo Exposition_ of 1900, bringing together as it did tourist business from all parts of the continent and of the world, threw exceptional business over the line. It may be said with certainty that every tourist who visits the American continent visits without fail the Niagara Falls, as one of the great wonders of the world. With the expanded facilities which have been given him, a very large proportion also visit the Niagara River and its water attractions, and cross the lake to Canada at Toronto. This was clearly evidenced at the Buffalo Exposition, and the largely increasing traffic then arising, all of which was satisfactorily dealt with, without any shortcomings or mishap.
In January, 1901, Sir Frank Smith died, being the second of the original Board to pa.s.s away. His judgment, forceful determination, and large capital, had been main-springs in the creation and establishment of the line of steamers whose beginnings he had promoted. Mr. J. J. Foy was elected President in his place.
It was during this year, (1901) that their Royal Highnesses the _Duke and d.u.c.h.ess of York_ (now King George V. and Queen Mary) made their remarkable tour through the overseas part of the British Empire. One portion of their visit to Canada included the Niagara district, and a rest of several days in privacy and quiet at Niagara-on-the-Lake, the _Queen's Royal_ being specially set apart for their use. On October 10th, they visited the Queenston Heights, Brock's Monument, and the Niagara Falls, by special cars of the Niagara Falls Park Electric Railway. The _Corona_ was used by the Royal visitors as a private yacht from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Queenston and return.
It is a fact worthy of noting that both here and during the whole of their nine months of travel around the world, their Royal Highnesses never placed foot on any other than British s.h.i.+p or British soil.
During the time the _Chippewa_ was under construction in 1891, the Dominion Government had become proprietors of the dry dock at Kingston, and were making considerable improvements. The attention of the department was drawn to the fact that if completed as then designed, the dock would not be of sufficient length to take in the _Chippewa_, which would, when launched, be the largest steamer on Lake Ontario. Further construction had therefore been made, by which the pontoon gate which closed the entrance, could be moved fifteen feet further out when required, to enable the steamer to be taken in.
[Ill.u.s.tration: The CAYUGA in Niagara River off Youngstown. page 188]
In the spring of 1902 the time had come for the _Chippewa_ to be placed in dock for the usual inspection. It was then found that the outer place for the gate had never been used, the local authorities stated that they could not change its position and that, therefore, the _Chippewa_ could not be taken into the dock. This was a poser for the steamer was too long for the dock as it existed. With Captain McGiffin I visited Ottawa to see if any influence could be brought up on the local authorities to get them to furnish us with the full length. We here met with a reception which was a specially valued reminiscence of an able parliamentarian. The Hon. Israel Tarte, a French-Canadian, had recently been appointed to be Minister of Public Works, and here he fully sustained the wide reputation he had elsewhere acquired for quick decision and immediate instruction. We suggested that if the gate could not be moved back, a s.p.a.ce could be cut out of the stone steps at the inner end of the dock, so as to enable the prow of the _Chippewa_ to extent between them.
On hearing our request, Mr. Tarte called in his Chief, asked if it could be done, being a.s.sured that it could added ”_Can you go to Kingston to-night and arrange for it?_” The next morning work was begun in the dock so that the steamer could be taken in. Vessel men who had been accustomed to the slow and deliberate methods which had previously existed, greatly appreciated the changes which for the improvement of our local business from the City of Toronto.
It has often been noted that a Sat.u.r.day half holiday is almost universally taken by the citizens of Toronto. In fact not a few of the travelling men from the United States have said that there is no use coming to Toronto to do business on Sat.u.r.day, as everyone is closing up for their afternoon trip. In the attaining of this condition the Niagara Navigation Company has had much to do, as the result of persistent advocacy.
With the increasing steamers we had abundant deck room which we desired to fill, particularly for the afternoon trip. This might be effected by getting the employers of some of the specific lines of business to close their establishments at 1 o'clock on Sat.u.r.days.