Part 21 (1/2)

2 & 3.

1168

”M. Johannes and Guitto”

Made the Ciborium at

(Guido)

Corneto.

4.

1196

Magister Buono, called

Built the churches of S.

Gruamont

Andrea and S. Gio.

Evangelista at Pistoja. This

man is said by Vasari to be

identical with the first

Buono.

5.

M. Adeodatus, his brother

Worked with him at Pistoja.

6.

1206

”Magister Bonus,” or Buono

Designed Fiesole cathedral.

7.

1264

M. Giovanni Buono (Zambono)

Worked at S. Anthony, Padua;

in 1265 built the cathedral

of S. Jacopo, in Pistoja.

8.

M. Andrea Buono, his

These brothers worked

brother

together at the pulpit at

Corneto Tarquinia, and

probably built the church.

Niccolao di Rannuccio

sculptured the door, inlaid

in Cosmati style.

9.

1285

M. Alberto di Guido Buono }

}

Sculptured at S. Pietro, 10.

M. Albertino di Enrico }

Bologna.

Buono }

------+------+-----------------------------+-----------------------------

The family were leading members of the guild up to the fifteenth century, when Bartolommeo Buono and his sons won fame in Venice.

We have seen the long connection of the Comacines with Lucca, during Lombard times, when they helped to build S. Frediano and other churches there. Sig. Ridolfi, author of _L' Arte in Lucca_, proves that not only the chief churches, but the cathedral itself, were the work of the Lombard ”Maestri Casari” who had established their schools there, since they restored S. Frediano for the Lombard Faulone in 686, and built the Basilica of S. Martino for Bishop Frediano in 588.

By the tenth century the church of S. Martino was very dilapidated, which much grieved the mind of Bishop Anselmo, who sought to gather together funds for its restoration. Two wealthy Lucchesi, Lambertus and Blancarius, both dignitaries of the cathedral, gave large donations towards it. Not long after this, Bishop Anselmo was elevated to the Papal See as Pope Alexander II., and immediately began the long-desired work of rebuilding his ex-cathedral.

[Ill.u.s.tration: CHURCH OF S. MICHELE, LUCCA.

_See page 228._ ]

He being a Milanese, and the Comacines his countrymen, besides their having a long connection with Lucca, it is natural to suppose he chose them as his architects. Every sign of the work confirms this, although no names have come down to us. As was frequently the case, the church was left without a facade for over a century, and at the end of the twelfth century the Lucchesi wished to put this finis.h.i.+ng touch.

There was in Lucca at the time a certain Magister Guido da Como, who had in 1187 built the church of S. Maria Corteorlandini. It was built for the feudal Lords Rolandinga, whose palace was called Corte Rolandinga, on the occasion of one of their family joining in the crusades.[176] There is mention of a Comacine sculptor named Guido before this date, at Corneto-Tarquinia, where in the church of S.

Maria di Castello is a fine Ciborium, signed ”Johannes et Guitto hoc opus fecerunt, MCLXVIII.” This, being only nineteen years previous, may have been an earlier work of this same Guido. This _Magister_ evidently had a son who followed his father's art, and was named after himself Guido, though called Guidetto, or young Guido, to distinguish him from his father. To these two men were confided the commission for the front of the Duomo. Probably the elder did not live to complete it, for although the commission was given to Maestro Guido Marmolario (_sic_), the inscription on the facade runs--”Mille C.C.