Part 7 (1/2)

Among the statues of the transept b.u.t.tresses that at the corner of the south-western tower, bestriding a lion, is thought by some to represent =Pepin-the-Short=, and another near him, =Charlemagne=.

[Ill.u.s.tration: THE LATERAL FAcADE AND SOUTHERN TRANSEPT IN 1919]

The facade of the transept has no doorway. Above the lower storey, the architectural arrangement is the same as that of the northern transept.

At the base of the rose-window, on each side, are two very fine statues.

_On the left_, =The Christian Religion=, symbolised by a crowned woman with chalice and standard. This statue was destroyed by a German sh.e.l.l in 1918, after being damaged in April 1917.

_On the right_, =The Synagogue=, with eyes bandaged and a crown on one side, was not seriously damaged.

In consequence of the fire of 1481, the gable of South Transept was rebuilt at the beginning of the 16th century by three master-masons, one of whom, Guichart Antoine, co-operated later with the building of =Notre Dame de l'Epine=. (_See the Michelin Guide: The Revigny Pa.s.s._) It was restored about 1888 in the original style. The subject sculptured on the pediment represents the =a.s.sumption of the Virgin=.

The =Sagittarius= which surmounted the gable was destroyed in 1914. It was a modern faithful copy of the old lead-covered wooden Sagittarius, which was carved, gilded and painted about 1503 by the Rheims sculptor, Jean Bourcamus. According to tradition, this Sagittarius, which appeared to be shooting its arrow at the bronze stag of the archi-episcopal palace, symbolised the rivalry between the Archbishop and the Chapter of the Cathedral.

[Ill.u.s.tration: GABLE OF THE SOUTHERN TRANSEPT IN 1914]

[Ill.u.s.tration: THE SOUTHERN LATERAL FAcADE IN 1914]

[Ill.u.s.tration: REVERSE SIDE OF THE CENTRAL DOOR IN 1914 _See complete view on p. 52._]

=THE INTERIOR OF THE CATHEDRAL=

=The Inner Western Facade=

(_See description of the Exterior on pp. 34 to 41._)

This is a masterpiece. Its sculptural decoration is unique, and as rich as that of the outer facade.

In the tympanum of the central door a sixteen-leaved rose-window, the stained-gla.s.s of which was made shortly before the Revolution, is faced with three small trefoil rose-windows.

At the top of the dividing pillar St. Nicaise, headless, is between two angels and two armed men personifying the barbarians who killed him.

The entire door, as far as the triforium, is framed by seven rows of superimposed niches separated by panels of sculptured foliage. The bas.e.m.e.nts are covered with figured drapery, as on the outside. In each niche, under a trefoil arcade, is a statue. The subjects represented are, _from bottom to top_: _on the right_: =The Life of John the Baptist=; _on the left_: =The Fulfilment of the Prophecy= and =The Childhood of Christ=.

[Ill.u.s.tration: STATUES ON REVERSE SIDE OF DOORS AFTER FIRE, SEPT., 1914]

The first row on the right is known as ”=The Knight's Communion=”; a priest offers the Host to a knight wearing 13th century armour, and turns his back on another knight clothed in a leathern Carolingian tunic with iron scales, and armed with a small round buckler.

Above the door, a gallery with nine openings lights the triforium.

On the highest storey, the great rose-window occupies the whole breadth of the nave. It is the masterpiece of Bernard de Soissons (_see p. 40_).

In the form of a gigantic flower with twelve petals, each of the latter is sub-divided by quatrefoils and trefoil archings. Its harmonious gracefulness and seeming lightness, in spite of the great thickness of its border (about 7 ft.), and mullions (about 2 ft. 6 in.), are very striking.

The stained-gla.s.s, which, with the stonework, formed a harmonious whole, was restored in modern times. The subject represented was: =The Virgin surrounded by angels, kings and patriarchs=.

The fire of 1914 destroyed the stained-gla.s.s.