Part 32 (2/2)
D. Palmer (147), R. Palmer Kemp (137), G. Garson (127), Matthew Butcher (124), John Symonds (122), S. Robinson (118). _St. Andrew's_-J. S. Bell (115), T. Hammond (111), J. W. Dowson (105), Wm. Barth (101), Hezekiah Martin (91), Patrick Stead (87). At a Meeting of the Council, on the 31st Dec., 1835, the following gentlemen were elected the Aldermen for the Borough, viz.:-John Brightwen, Benj. Dowson, Captain Wm. Larke, Richard Sibbs Lonsdale, J. B. Palmer, Joseph Starling, Robert Teasdel, George Jeffries, Benjamin Fenn, Robert Wall, Thomas Pitt, Charles Nichols.
The custom of electing Mayors by an inquest abolished. They were elected previous to this date, Sept. 29th.
Scheme projected for supplying the Town with Fresh Water by means of a Reservoir on the high lands at Burgh Castle, but unsupported.
The Hon. and Rev. Edward Pellew, fourth son of Admiral Lord Viscount Exmouth, appointed to the inc.u.mbency of St. Nicholas' Church, on the resignation of Mr. Turner.
The two stuffed figures representing John and Betty Goblett, annually exhibited in front of Tolhouse Hall, prohibited being placed there.
Capital Jurisdiction abolished.
1836.
William Barth, Esq., elected Mayor on Jan. 1st, and again on Nov. 9th.
Feb. 27th. Brig ”Isis” wrecked on the South Beach. ”The History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, including Great Yarmouth,” by Mr.
William White, of Sheffield, published; second edition in 1815.
Thomas William Anson, Earl of Lichfield, High Steward of the Borough.
Great storm, twenty-three vessels stranded on Yarmouth Beach, and upwards of forty lost on the coast.
The last Market Cross removed.
Rev. R. Pillans, while driving his carriage into the Angel yard, struck his head against a beam and broke his neck.
1837.
Nov. 12th. Captain William Watts died, aged 70 years.
Dec. 2nd. Brig ”Valeria” launched from Mr. Lubbock's yard.
First stone of the Wesleyan Chapel laid. The building cost 4,200.
On Queen Victoria ascending the Throne, C. E. Rumbold, Esq., was re-seated in Parliament, and the election of W. Wilshere, Esq., secured as a colleague.
G. D. Palmer, Esq., appointed as a Magistrate.
1838.
Aug. 28th. William Wilshere again returned to Parliament.
The new Workhouse opened. Cost of entire building up to 1860, about 10,000.
<script>