Part 9 (1/2)
[Footnote 19: Erected in 1626, it was demolished in september 1836.]
SUSPENSION BRIDGE.
The numerous commercial trading vessels, which come up the Seine, were formerly obliged to wait several days, before they could get along side the quay to discharge. It became essential to enlarge the port, for which reason the stone bridge, at the entrance to the town, was built; but this arrangement rendered another bridge indispensable; and in 1828, the town council consulted on the possibility of removing the bridge of boats farther down; but the bad state it was in, and the enormous sum it cost to keep it in repair, and the length of time it took to open it for the pa.s.sage of vessels, at once caused them to give up all idea of this old machine, formerly looked upon us a wonder; but, which did not now answer the purpose.
On the 8th of june 1834, a royal ordinance was issued, approving the undertaking. At last MM. Seguin brothers, civil engineers, and Pierre Colin, undertaker of public works, were, on the 16th october 1834, declared the approved contractors for the erection of the bridge; at the same time granting to them the receipts of the tolls for a period of 99 years, the bridge to be terminated at the latest, by the 1st of january 1837. And it was entirely completed by the 1st september 1836 (the very day the bridge of boats was suppressed). At the expiration of the 99 years, the bridge will become the property of the government. Its breadth is seven metres thirty centimetres, its length 197 metres, and the whole expense has amounted to 750,000 fr. On the left of the bridge is situated a guard house, and on the right Brune's house, erected by the city as a reward for courage and devotedness on many occasions.
RIVER AND RIVULETS.
THE RIVER SEINE.
The source of the Seine is to be found near the hamlet of Envergeraux, and about two leagues and half from the village of Saint-Seine, in Burgundy. After a course of more than 200 leagues from east to west, it falls into the Ocean, between Havre and Honfleur[20].
The depth of the Seine at Rouen allows this town to be cla.s.sed amongst the princ.i.p.al ports of France. They calculate at from 2000 to 2500 the number of vessels of all sizes, which annually come this port.
[Footnote 20: See: _Voyage from Havre to Rouen_; and _Excursion from Rouen to Paris, by the Seine_. Rouen, 1839, in-18vo, with maps and plates.]
ROBEC.
This rivulet has its source near the village of _Fontaine-sous-Preaux_; about two leagues from Rouen, runs through five _communes_, and enters Rouen by the suburb Saint-Hilaire; pa.s.sing through the town, it falls into the Seine, near the stone bridge.
AUBETTE.
The Aubette has its source at Saint-Aubin, a small village near Rouen.
This rivulet runs through _Saint-Leger-du-bourg-Denis_, _Darnetal_, enters Rouen by the suburb Martainville, and falls into the Seine, at the entrance to the _Cours-Dauphin_, near the porte _Guillaume-Lion_.
These two rivers are specially useful for mills and dying establishments.
RENELLE.
If the etymology of the name _Renelle_ is doubtful, the utility of the stream at least is not so. It supplies numerous tanneries, of which there are still a great many in the street which bears its name. This sort of industry is very ancient in Rouen, and has never been established in any other part of the town. On the 22nd of march 1560, the parliament issued an act, ordering all the tanners to remove their establishments to the _Eau-de-Robec_; but, they said that they required clear water to carry on their trade, and therefore, were allowed, by order of the king, to remain on the Renelle. This rivulet comes from the Gaalor spring, and flows from the fountain of the _Bailliage_, almost in a straight line to the Seine, into which it falls.
FOUNTAINS.
The more churches there were in a town, there should be as many public fountains. Under the ancient law, a tub was placed at the entrance of the temples, in which the priests washed their hands and feet; under the new, and in imitation, fountains were placed near the churches, where the christians, before entering, washed their face and hands. This remark was applicable especially, in Rouen, before the revolution, where the number of churches and fountains was quite equal. There are not now thirty seven parochial churches; but we can still count thirty six public fountains, not including those in many private houses.
Of all these fountains, only seven merit particular attention, from their architectural and historical character. They are the fountains of the _Croix-de-Pierre_, the _Crosse_, the _Grosse-Horloge_, the _Vieux-Marche_, the _Pucelle_, _Saint-Maclou_, and _Lisieux_.
FOUNTAIN OF THE CROIX-DE-PIERRE,